What To Do and When To Do It. Once you're knee-deep in wedding planning, beauty preparation may become an afterthought
You know you need to make time for some beauty prep, but when and where do you start? To make sure you look and feel amazing on your big day, Bona Dea has created a Wedding Beauty Timeline to help you achieve that blushing bride (or groom!) glow
5–6 Months To Go...
If you have a goal to lose weight, tone up, or just feel better for your wedding, now's the time to get started on a health and fitness plan.
- Get moving. Sign up for a yoga class, hire a personal trainer, or just go for a 20-minute walk after dinner. No one is expecting you to train like you're running a marathon, but getting your body moving will contribute to feeling your best.
- Take a look at your eating habits. Try to include more fruits, veggies, and whole foods, while cutting on processed goods. Just be sure not to deprive yourself (wine and chocolate are essential to wedding planning—obviously).
- Meditate...or at least take some deep breaths. Stress levels can be high when you're planning a wedding. Take care of your inner self as well, by finding ways to keep stress at bay.
3–4 Months To Go...
Whether you're toying with the idea of a totally new hair colour, a sassy bob, or glamorous eye makeup, this is an awesome time to start experimenting with your wedding-day look—without risking a last-minute disaster.
- Make consultation appointments with potential hairstylists and makeup artists. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Those highlights you found on Pinterest might look great, but will they flatter your skin tone or work with your off-white gown?
- Book professionals ASAP when you've found the ones you love. Then schedule your wedding-day trial runs. TIP: For double-beauty-duty, schedule your trial on the same day as your engagement photos or another special event.
- If you've never had a spray tan before, get one now. This is a good time to test it out so you know what to expect, what colour you'll be, and how to maintain it. Awkward tan lines? No thanks.
- How are your eyebrows looking? If you need some help in this area, put down the tweezers and book a professional brow-grooming appointment.
1–2 Months To Go...
You're getting closer, so keep up those good habits and finalize your wedding-day beauty plans.
- If you're still following your nutrition and fitness routines, don't stop now! (And if you've fallen off the wagon, get back on there. You got this!) Continue with clean eating - it is a way of eating that focuses on fresh, natural foods. Drinking copious amounts of water will also be of good aid to you.
- Finalize your wedding-day hair and makeup looks. Bring any accessories with you (veil, hairpieces) to your trial and speak up if you don't like what your stylist is doing. Take pictures once you've got your look nailed down to remember the details and see how everything will look in photos.
- Get your teeth whitened—professionally or using at-home whitening strips. Cut back on coffee to keep those pearly whites shining bright (or at least drink it through a straw).
1–3 Weeks To Go...
Now you're in the home stretch!
- Get your hair trimmed. Just an inch or two will keep your style looking fresh.
- Colour your hair at least two weeks before the wedding. Now isn't the time to try something new, so stick with your usual shade or opt for a subtle pick-me-up, like babylights.
- Invest in a smells-so-good-you-could-eat-it lotion and start moisturizing your skin daily. Get a wax. If that's your thing, of course. Waxing can irritate the skin and cause redness or bumps, so do this early to avoid any unnecessary skin mishaps.
- Indulge in a facial. This is another beauty treatment that can cause irritation or redness, so enjoy one well before the big day.
- If you're the groom, you may want to try out a professional shave to see if it agrees with you. If so, it may be nice to get one before the wedding!
- De-stress with a massage. You deserve it!
3 Days To Go...
In the words of Aziz Ansari: "Treat yo'self!"
- Get that mani-pedi, soon-to-be Mrs! Bring your future spouse along so all the hands are looking polished for those close-up ring pictures.
- Put together your bridal emergency kit and include any makeup products you'll need for wedding-day touch-ups.
- If you decided to go for that spray tan, get it now. Doing this a little earlier will allow your tan to fade into a more natural glow. Wait at least 8 hours before showering and moisturise daily to extend the life of your tan.
- Deep condition your hair. And relax at home with a clay facial mask and cucumbers over your eyes if you're feeling extra fancy.
- Cut out alcohol and excess sodium. Not so fun, but you would want to avoid a bloated feeling on your big day!
The Day Before...
Relaaaax. The big day is almost here, and you've never looked (or felt!) better.
- Wash your hair. Most styles do best with day-old hair, but be sure to check with your stylist first to see what she or he recommends.
- Be sure to drink lots of water.
- Get at least 8 hours of beauty sleep.
The Day Of The Wedding
You've made it...and you are stunning!
- Eat a healthy breakfast. This isn't the day to indulge in sugary french toast and mimosas. You'll want your stomach to agree with you.
- Allow plenty of time for the "getting ready" process. Have your makeup and hair done at least 2–3 hours before the start of the ceremony.
- Wear a button-down shirt or pretty robe to avoid having to pull a shirt over your freshly-coiffed updo.
- Spritz on a really special perfume. Or cologne!
- Take deep breaths. Really be present and soak in every moment of this special day.